Huddle Days and Comfort Reads

    by Tawny

    Did you ever have a huddle day? The not-sick-but-don't-feel-good kind of day that makes you want to curl up under a blanket with the pillows high. The kind of day that it's easy to ignore food (except maybe comfort food) and if possible, blow off responsibilities and just let your brain chill.

    The first question is always why huddle in? Being sick doesn't count as huddle in time, because that's sick time. Huddle time is more... melancholy. I find myself needing to huddle in when I've been stressed for too long. Or when I'm bumming over something out of my control and just have to process and release the worries. It's like a stasis time - no thinking, no worrying, no doing. Just being. I'd say its meditative, but its really not - its more indulgent and lazy.

    Next is where to huddle in. Over the years, I've narrowed it to two places. Oh, sure, in the summer huddle in time might take place on a hammock or out by the pool - but really, thats not huddling, its more mellowing, right? So I've eliminated those options *g* Which leaves me with the bed, with a high pile of pillows, cool sheets and a down comforter. Or the couch. Again, with a pile of pillows and a comfy blanket.

    Then there's the entertainment portion of huddling in, which requires two parts (requires, mind you). Comfort food. And Comfort Reads.

    Comfort food is that stuff that mom made when you were sick, right? Or that perfectly indulgent but not too over-the-top treat. Soups, potatoes and anything chocolate always counts for me. For huddle in days, its a food you don't have to cook yourself. Or if you do, you can make it in less than 10 minutes.

    Comfort reads... oh, we all know those, don't we? The most worn books on our keeper shelf. The ones that have tape holding the spines together, that we can anticipate the words on the page, hear the author's voice in our heads. The ones that make us smile and sigh, and that always trigger that comfortable, cozy feeling of contentment when we close the cover.

    Ooooh yeah, the perfect ingredients to a perfect huddle in day!!!

    I had a huddle in and comfort read kind of day yesterday. I also had no commitments, a kid in the same mood and nobody else in the house. We curled up on the loveseats in the family room, we read, we watched mindless TV, we ate apples and popcorn (a healthy alternative to comfort junk food LOL). And by the end of the evening, we were both giggling and feeling rejuvenated. I wasn't as stressed or as overwhelmed as I'd been when I woke up. I was inspired by the magical story of The Belgariad and ready to write again. And I'd discovered that I really REALLY need to buy a new couch - because huddling just isn't comfy on a love seat... it just isn't!!!

    So how about you? Do you huddle in? If so, do you prefer the couch or the bed? What's your favorite comfort food? And your favorite comfort read? Source URL: http://gbejadacosta.blogspot.com/2010/03/huddle-days-and-comfort-reads.html
    Visit Gbejada Costa for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection
My Ping in TotalPing.com

Blog Archive